Authors: TheIndianSubcontinent News Agency
Venezuelan opposition leader Henrique Capriles says he has been stopped from leaving the country to meet UN officials in New York.
As protests against the leftist government continued in the capital Caracas, he said his passport had been seized at the airport and would not be returned until 2020.
US President Donald Trump has described Venezuela's crisis as a "disgrace".
The US treasury has put eight supreme court members on a financial blacklist.Image copyright AFP
It called this punishment for undermining the country's democratically elected congress by assuming its powers in late March. A senior official in Washington said further action would be taken if there was no improvement in Venezuela following weeks of worsening instability.
At least 43 people have died in the last seven weeks in violence related to the anti-government protests.
The opposition and the government accuse each other of trying to stage a coup.
"I have not been able to travel," Mr Capriles said in a video posted online. "I will not be able to attend the meeting with the High Commissioner for Human Rights."Image copyright BBC Mundo Image caption
"They robbed my passport, for that is how I would describe it, in the migration zone."
Mr Capriles, who is seen as the opposition's best hope of defeating President Nicolas Maduro in elections next year, has been at the forefront of demands for a presidential recall referendum.
He was recently banned from politics for 15 years.
In Thursday's video, he said he would return to the streets to join an anti-government march.Image copyright AFP
President Trump told a press conference in Washington he would "work together to do whatever is necessary to help with fixing" the crisis.
Relations between the US and the Venezuelan government have been chilly for years.
In February, the US designated Mr Maduro's Vice-President, Tareck El Aissami, as a major international drug trafficker.
He dismissed the allegation at the time as an "imperialist aggression".
- #VEILREAL is trending at 10 in Japan
- GENE is trending at 9 in Japan
- リストバンド is trending at 8 in Japan
- #Bリーグファイナル is trending at 7 in Japan
- #サウクル is trending at 5 in Japan
- Knights is trending at 4 in Japan
- 挟み撃ち is trending at 1 in Japan
- Tral is trending at 10 in world
- #TresPalabrasQueOdio is trending at 9 in world
- Zbigniew Brzezinski is trending at 8 in world
- #blackhairchallenge is trending at 7 in world
- 아라시 is trending at 6 in world
- #JawaharlalNehru is trending at 5 in world
- #ShowtimeMAYpaandar is trending at 4 in world
- 나이츠 is trending at 2 in world
- #IggyFeatAnittaOnFallon is trending at 1 in world
- Su-30 is trending at 10 in India
- Rs 5,000 is trending at 9 in India
- Rahul Gandhi is trending at 8 in India
- #HealthInModiGov is trending at 7 in India