IndianSubcontinent

Image copyrightAFPAfter meeting President Trump in April last year, China's President Xi Jinping announced a big idea to show the world, and especially the White House, that China's economy was opening up: the China International Import Expo.
When he opened the huge gathering on Monday in Shanghai, "opening up" was a constant refrain in his 30-minute address.
There's no doubt that the 3,000-plus foreign firms here this week will do good business.
President Xi's association with the event will make it so.
One senior diplomat told me the Chinese hosts could be unveiling a total of $150bn in new import deals by the week's end.
(The UK is likely to announce 2bn or $2.6bn worth of deals).
All of this is designed to show that Beijing is addressing one of President Trump's biggest bugbears - China's massive trade imbalance with the US.
But the US government has given this event the cold shoulder.
There are no high level officials attending.
With talks stalling to try to prevent a further escalation in the trade war, the message from Washington is that the Shanghai gathering is merely window dressing.It doesn't address the US's core concerns about the trade relationship, structural inequalities and its growing anger over China's alleged theft of intellectual property.Plenty of big American firms, such as Ford, Boeing, Qualcomm and Google, have come to the expo.
None of these wanted to talk to the TheIndianSubcontinent about the apparent business bonanza.All of them want to be in China, with access to the world's biggest market.
But some are also planning to shift supply chains or manufacturing bases if the trade war goes on.There were some tangible changes announced in Mr Xi's speech.
He pledged to lower import tariffs and to change foreign equity ownership rules in the education and medical services sectors, so that firms from abroad can own more of the companies they set up here.
(This could be particularly good for the UK which is strong in these service sectors.)There was also a "sincere commitment" to open China's markets further, on China's terms.And there was certainly no sign that China is about to cave in the trade war.
All of this is familiar to anyone who has listened to Communist Party leaders' speeches in recent years.
It's a version of the address Mr Xi gave at Davos early last year where he framed himself and his country as the new champions of globalisation and open, free trade.
But the economic environment is changing.Recent GDP figures confirmed growth in China's economy is slowing down.Image copyrightGetty ImagesLast week, China's leader chaired a meeting of the country's most senior leaders in which they acknowledged that "downward pressure" on the economy was "increasing".He recently also sought to reassure the country's top private business figures of his "unwavering" commitment to the private sector (where most new jobs are created here).Back in present-day Shanghai, President Xi had only committed to piecemeal reform by the time he walked away from the podium.
That commitment was also embellished with a very familiar metaphor.Appearing to refer to the trade war as a "battering storm" he said the Chinese economy "is a sea".Storms can "overturn a pond" he said, but "never" a sea.





Unlimited Portal Access + Monthly Magazine - 12 issues


Contribute US to Start Broadcasting - It's Voluntary!


ADVERTISE


Merchandise (Peace Series)

 


'They executed him then called his wife to boast': Inside Sweida, the Syrian city wrecked by militias


Letter from Cairo: 'Leaving Gaza was not an escape-- it was an act of desperate survival'


A minimum of 73 Palestinians killed by Israeli shooting while queueing for food aid


Syrian presidency says ceasefire in location, urges parties to respect it


Mary Regan: Coalition must balance jitters over Occupied Territories Bill against its pledges to stand up for what is right


I led US talks for Bill Clinton with Yasser Arafat and Ehud Barak – 25 years on, Israel now has its best chance for lasting peace in Gaza


Syrian forces to go back to Druze location after more violence


Spiritual leaders go to Gaza in wake of fatal church battle


Hundreds more MoD information breaches exposed as security concerns raised in wake of Afghan breach


Pope Francis's priest pal injured as Israelis bomb Gaza's only Catholic church


Syrian president Ahmed al-Sharaa says Israel is trying to fracture Syria with attacks


Syrian government and Druze minority leaders announce a brand-new ceasefire as Israel continues strikes


Benjamin Netanyahu's union federal government suffers significant blow as another party stops


A minimum of 20 Palestinians eliminated at aid circulation website in Gaza


Damascus hit by Israel airstrikes amidst fighting in south of Syria


‘How dare you’ – former minister Alan Shatter criticised in committee on Israeli settlements bill


'Dozens of females and kids' are among 93 killed in Gaza in latest Israeli strikes


Secret UK information breach that put 100,000 Afghans' lives at threat is exposed after super-injunction raised


'How dare you'-- previous minister Alan Shatter criticised in committee on Israeli settlements costs


Israeli strikes in Gaza eliminate 93 Palestinians, health officials say


Former Israeli PM says relocating Gaza civilians could be interpreted as ‘ethnic cleansing’


At least 31 killed in Israeli strikes as fuel scarcity puts medical facilities at danger; no boost in aid regardless of Israel-EU contract


IDF opposes Netanyahu’s plan for Gaza that critics compared to ‘concentration camp’


Israel strikes tanks in Syria after clashes between armed clans


Future of Unifil mission in Lebanon in doubt, but Ireland supports peacekeepers, Tánaiste Simon Harris says


Israel blames ‘technical error’ for deadly drone missile that killed six children in Gaza


Israeli missile hits Gaza children collecting water, IDF blames malfunction


Israel kills six children queuing for water as Gaza death toll tops 58,000; Palestinian-American killed in West Bank


52 Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrikes and shootings near help site in Gaza


Ten kids queuing for food among 16 killed in Israeli strike in Gaza


Michelle L Price: Netanyahu gives Trump something he really wants – a Nobel Peace Prize nomination


Israeli airstrike kills 10 children near Gaza clinic as IDF says it was targeting militant; no immediate truce in sight


Sanctions versus UN attorney over Gaza report denounced


EU agrees deal with Israel to get more food and fuel into Gaza as 10 children die outside clinic


Israel continues bombardment in Gaza amid ceasefire efforts


US issues sanctions against UN investigator probing abuses in Gaza


Hamas states it has agreed to release 10 living hostages as Trump insists ceasefire offer 'really close'